1962 Triumph TR4


So when I restored the white TR6 elsewhere on the site the owner got bitten by the bug and fancied an earlier model to keep it company. A local TR club member had a project for sale so a deal was done and this is what we got.  Described as chassis rebuilt with rebuilt engine, rust free body with all Stanpart outer panels. We'll see.


Is this the rust free bit then? No, you can see here the mangled rear valance removed and boot floor repairs ongoing. Boot lid needed some brute force to pull it back into shape - obviously had a proper thump in the past but with new valance on it all lines up nicely.  I've already fitted a new drivers floor and sill assembly, these came with the car and yet the new bulkhead panels were welded on to the rotten originals!


Professionally converted to RHD? Well I let in the new metal you can see to replace huge areas which had been made up entirely of weld! Common rot spot from battery acid corrosion.  The two doors are shown with new skins (TR6) modified to accept the TR4 type door handles.  Both doors had obviously been flipped around by wind and had massive dents with the appropriate size chunk of filler in. I am beginning to realise that 'Stanpart' panels actually just meant 'old' panels.  Never mind - it's getting there.


With the body tub repairs completed I had a look at the 'rebuilt' chassis. This turned out to be very loosely assembled just to look complete. This picture is after all the remedial work which amounted to virtually rebuilding the whole thing. With the engine out the knackered clutch and cross shaft were replaced, seals changed and an external refurbishment done on the engine itself. The rebuilt engine wasn't - it was a factory rebuilt unit, but from when? Fingers firmly crossed that it was OK as no funds available for a rebuild. Looking much better with the radiator freshly painted too - except the owner then told me that it leaked as fast as you could fill it - oh for goodness sake!    What was certain though was that the body - now back from blasting and etching - was looking good.  Here my glamorous assistant is seam sealing all the joints and repairs before a coat of stonechip is applied, then off to the paintshop.


I like these pictures of the tub on the back of the trusty Volvo. It means clean reassembly work with results you can see every day. New wiring harness going in, pedals and heater assembly.  What became obvious very quickly was that ALL of the parts were broken, wrong, worn out or robbed of components. The previous owner had been using the parts from this car as a spares stock to maintain his other TR4A. This made the reassembly slower, more costly and frustrating than usual.


Never the less, before to long it is looking like this which isn't too bad. Plenty still to do but the end is almost in sight. See that funny shaped bracket on the drivers floor - it's a new throttle linkage bracket, one of three which must have been made for something else as they are nothing like the original. After weeks of fruitless searching I took one from a customers car and made a copy of it. Perfect! Very pleased with myself - until I found one in a plastic bag with a load of TR6 parts the very next day! Count to ten Tim...


How long will it stay that clean? This car gets used so I expect it will be very dirty by now, but you have to build them right so that's just the way it is. Chassis very different to the more common TR4A.


And there it is. Still not sure about the alloys and they may have been changed by now but the car looks lovely in Spa White with red interior and Mohair hood. The towbar isn't my addition - apparantly it is for a caravan!


A good build this, despite the problems, it just makes the end result more satisfying. This car was a well known long standing restoration project - I think it's safe to say in the hands of the previous owner it would have never seen the road again. It's new owner really gets around in his cars, only problem now is choosing which one.